What Obama Did His First Year
SPEECHES, COMMENTS & REMARKS: 411
• Includes 52 addresses or statements specifically on his health care proposals.
• He used a TelePrompTer at least 178 times. (Technically, it was 177 ½ . On July 13, 2009, one of the teleprompter screens on the left side of his lectern fell to the ground and broke shortly after he began speaking. So he was left with half a TelePrompTer.)
NEWS CONFERENCES: 42
• Of which 5 were formal, solo White House Q&A sessions. Four were in prime time. His last one was July 22, 2009.
• Nearly all of the other press availabilities were joint appearances with foreign leaders at which as few as 1 question was taken by Mr. Obama.
• This is a striking number of interviews and far more than any of his recent predecessors in their first year. Ninety of the sessions were TV interviews. Eleven were radio. The rest were newspaper and magazine. The number reflects the White House media strategy that Mr. Obama can best respond to questions in an interview setting.
TOWN HALL MEETINGS: 23
• Includes 1 in Strasbourg, France and another in Shanghai, China
DOMESTIC TRAVEL:46 out-of-town trips to 58 cities and towns in 30 states
• Most frequently visited state by Mr. Obama: New York* (excluding Maryland & Virginia, which border DC and to which visits are more local than out-of-town).
FOREIGN TRAVEL: 10 foreign trips to 21 nations (4 of them twice).
• Mr. Obama made more trips abroad in his first year than has any other U.S. President.
FLIGHTS ON AIR FORCE ONE: 160
FLIGHTS ON MARINE ONE: 193
POLITICAL FUNDRAISERS: 28
• The events raised at least $27.25 million. (3 of the events Mr. Obama attended declined to disclose how much was raised.
CAMPAIGN RALLIES: 7
• The rallies were for Gov. Jon Corzine, D-N.J., gubernatorial candidate Creigh Deeds, D-Va, and U.S. Senate Candidate Martha Coakley, D-Mass. All of them lost.
MEETINGS WITH FOREIGN LEADERS: 74 (several multiple times)
• This counts meetings with chiefs of state or heads of government
NATIONAL DEBT: On day Mr. Obama took office: $10.626 trillion
• One year later: $12.319 trillion
• Increase on Mr. Obama’s watch: $1.693 trillion
BILL SIGNINGS: 124 of which Mr. Obama did 13 bill-signing ceremonies.
VISITS TO CAMP DAVID: 11 visits totaling all or part of 27 days.
• Mr. Obama’s only veto to date killed a bill to keep Defense Dept operating in case Appropriations measure wasn’t passed, which eventually it was.
PARDONS or COMMUTATIONS: 0*
* Not counting 2 turkeys he pardoned at Thanksgiving.
(A White House aide says first year presidents are inundated with pardon petitions and usually don’t grant any until after “an extensive review process is conducted at the Justice Department.”)
VACATIONS: All or part of 26 days over 4 trips
GOLF: 29 rounds of golf
• Most frequent courses: Fort Belvoir 11 times; Andrews AFB: 8 times.
OUT OF THE PUBLIC EYE: 21 days on which Mr. Obama did not have a public or press appearance.
Click On Links:
Obama heckled At Health Care Rally
Obama Angry With Banks
Top 20 US Conservatives/Liberals
Obama, Guantanamo detainees in US
Obama On The Tonight Show
Millions To Repay Part Of Obama Tax Credit
Obama’s Approval Rating
Obama Bank Overhaul
Obama’s 9 Trillion Dollar Deficit
Obama Plan To Tax 50 Banks
Obama Gun Control
49 Of 50 States Have Lost Jobs Under Obama
I Won’t Vote For Obama Again
Kroft to Obama: Are you punch-drunk?
Obama Prompter Crash!
Obama Joker Poster
Obama Shoe Shine Boy
The House Negro And The Field Negro
Rep. Joe Wilson shouted “You lie!” To Obama
White America Hate Barack Obama
Marine Vet David William Hedrick Rips Rep. Brian Baird
Black People Don’t Like Black Conservatives