Obama Lies About Abortion Funding in Healthcare Bill
Obama charged that there are some who are “bearing false witness” by spreading “misinformation” about his healthcare plan in a conference call with faith leaders. Obama said it was a “fabrication” and “untrue” that his health care legislation involved “government funding of abortions.” Obama said, “You’ve heard that this is all going to mean government funding of abortion. Not true. Obama used multiple Biblical references to criticize opponents of his healthcare plan. Obama you are a ‘DAME LIE’ . In an amendment offered by Rep. Lois Capps in the House Energy and Commerce Committee on July 30, the House version of the bill now explicitly calls for the funding of abortion in the government plan. Under the Capps amendment:
* Abortion coverage would not be part of the required minimum benefits package. In other words, insurers would not be required to offer, or be prohibited from offering, abortion services in order to participate in the exchange.
* The public plan could include abortion coverage, but the cost of the additional coverage could not be paid through public subsidies (tax dollars), only through the premiums paid by the insured. And with private plans in the exchange, again, federal subsidies could not be used for abortion coverage.
* Public funding would only be permitted for abortions allowed under the Hyde Amendment — in cases of rape, incest or when the mother’s life is in danger.
* At least one plan in every region must offer full abortion coverage; and one must not.
* Any insurance plan participating in the exchange cannot discriminate against hospitals or other health care facilities (such as Catholic hospitals) that are unwilling to provide abortions.
* The plan will not pre-empt any state laws regarding abortion, such as parental notification laws.
The Capps amendment is the government paying subsidies to people who are then able to obtain abortion coverage. The government running the whole plan.
The word ‘Abortion’ is never mentioned in the 1,018-page bill. The amendment prohibits federal funds from explicitly subsidizing abortion in the private healthcare plans to be offered through the health
exchange (read it here). The language also calls for taxpayer subsidies of plans that cover abortions.
The amendment mandate coverage for unspecified “preventive care and screenings” for pregnant women, and direct insurers participating in government-subsidized plans to include in their networks unnamed “essential community providers.” Federal funding for abortions has been prohibited by legislation known as the Hyde Amendment since 1976. The public healthcare option could cover abortions that the government is currently barred from funding by way of the Hyde amendment.
Emptysuit Related Links